Tuesday, February 21, 2012

granola

Let's kick this off with something simple and, mercifully, a first-time-tried success. My cooking endeavors, in true manic-depressive fashion, have their highs and lows. I'd detail the hot chicken salad incident right here and now, but there will be plenty of time for that later.

It's precisely because of my amateur nature that I'm thankful for inspirations like the source of this experiment: Rebekka Seale. She's a painter, ponderer, baker, knitter and the kind of girl you just want to be, and to be friends with. I'm so glad we crossed paths.


This morning, I woke up early and started preparing meals for my wonderful sister-in-law and her husband since they've just brought home their first baby (my first nephew!). I never really thought about it, but bringing a little breakfast snack along with dinner can un-complicate things on a whole new level and isn't this the best time to un-complicate things for someone you love? 

It could have very well been a total flop and, in that case, I'm always prepared with a back-up. A back-up called: buy something. But, like I said, I started with a good plan called someone else's recipe for delicious granola. To Rebekka's recipe, I added pecans, almonds and cinnamon and, once it was baked up, dried cranberries.


I'm so happy with it and I have to say this: just in case you are like me and either 1-have had traumatic experiences with gas ovens and maybe you're scared of them or, 2-are impatient when delicious smells are coming from your kitchen; grit your teeth and bake it 6-8 hours. Don't take it out early, not even if you take a little out on a spoon and kind of burn your tongue but it still tastes good and you think maybe it's done. The longer it's in (to a point here, people, to a point), the better it gets! Sort of slowly caramelized and sweeter and richer and warmer. 

1 c olive oil
1 c maple syrup
1 T cinnamon
8 c rolled oats
pecans
almonds

Whisk together the olive oil, syrup and cinnamon. Pour over the oats & nuts, toss to cover and spread on rimmed baking sheets. Bake at 200 (175 or as low as it can go is the real recommendation, but that is as low as I can go - and see fear of gas ovens above) 6-8 hours (overnight is the real recommendation, but again see fear of gas ovens above). 

1 comment: