Thursday, April 19, 2012

reclaimed home

With all the recent wrap-ups of projects (I still have a few things keeping me busy!), I've been tackling a few things on the to do list outside of the professional realm. I mentioned the painting project in the powdered room, and we're also changing colors in the dining room. The trim needs to be painted as well and some windows are being replaced too. Ah, home-ownership!

We've been in our house together for nearly a year and Jacob is soon moving his office into a new space, so I think we're kind of nesting and reclaiming this area as our home. After a year abroad, a year moving around the states and nearly a year of moving around our own little town of Lexington, it's starting to sink in that we live here (and we aren't going anywhere - for now!). 

The last time I painted in this house was seven years ago (!). Things have changed so much in that time, and I think these walls are ready for a refresher. Neutrals are perennially popular and, let me tell you, I've found that a neutral palette on the walls can help with integrating styles and belongings of two very different people!
Provence Cream
Nimbus Cloud
Two of my favorite neutrals (and the ones chosen for our soon-to-be-painted rooms), are Martha Stewart's Nimbus Cloud (Glidden), and Provence Cream (Behr) - both at Home Depot. I love the cool, airy grey of Nimbus - perfect for a steamy bathroom, and quite complementary to our white and pale blue tiles and nickel fixtures. The Provence Cream (love the name) is more yellow every other place I've seen it except our dining room, where it settles into such a lovely calm color with just enough contrast next to the white trim (Pro tip: buy samplers! They're available in most colors and only cost about $3, so if you have to buy about 10 of them, it's still not a budget breaker...trust me!).

No comments:

Post a Comment