Wednesday, April 18, 2012

vehicles...

This morning was overcast and a bit chilly - the kind of morning that I was so thankful that we could take just a few moments to snuggle back under the covers and cuddle before we greeted the world and work. 


When we did make that inevitable step and the feet hit the floor, I decided to put on (maybe for the last time this year?) my big fluffy socks and stir up a warm breakfast. I'm not a cold cereal kind of person, so when I do have breakfast, it usually involves a bit of cooking. 


Oatmeal is a favorite because it's easy (make this in just one pot!), nourishing, wholesome and warm. Plus it's such a versatile food (sort of like that southern staple, grits - see Kathryn Stockett's The Help “That's all a grit is, a vehicle. For whatever it is you rather be eating.”). Well, I do actually like oats, but they sure are good with a bit of somethin' thrown in.


Say, apples, vanilla, maple syrup, brown sugar and a bit of cashew butter for protein? I think yes.


Oatmeal and Vanilla Maple Apples with Cashew Butter
Start with a half apple (I used Granny Smith), chopped
Toss them in a saucepan with about a tablespoon or two (depending on taste) of Vanilla extract 
Add a tablespoon of brown sugar and just a bit of maple syrup and let it boil until the apples are soft.


Ready to go!

When they're soft, pour them into a bowl and set aside. Make your oats and when they're ready to go, combine everything and stir in a spoonful of cashew butter. My favorite is from Trader Joe's


Simple, quick, uncomplicated, delicious and nutritious!

No comments:

Post a Comment