Thursday, March 8, 2012

appreciation

There is something undeniably intoxicating about the scents on a spring breeze; their composition a little tell of what is to come. This early morning, as I ducked out into our backyard with the pup, I stopped for a moment to breathe it in. Clean like new grass, sweet like early flowers, cool and tinged with rain. No season more than spring does the wind carry life and promise, and I think more than anything that's what I love about the season. I'll admit, I really love the freewheeling warmth of summer, but there's so much about spring I mourn when we [sometimes] skip over it in our hasty and odd Kentucky weather patterns or when I, in my own haste, wish it away as I look toward the next thing. 

Today, there will be rain and wind and spring. And today I will enjoy every minute of it and not wish for the next thing (I especially will not daydream about Keeneland - yet). And I will be thankful for everything I have and can do today. I will take a moment to appreciate how perfectly rumpled Jacob is when he wakes up. I will be excited about sharing ideas with intelligent and capable friends. And I will spend the whole entire afternoon playing in the kitchen and cooking with my sisters in law (I love being married to my husband, but I also love that marriage gave me my first sisters!) as we prepare to celebrate a birthday in the family this evening (Happy Day, Marge!).



I am going to enjoy this day. And be thankful for the ones that came before.

1 comment:

  1. A fellow KY blogger! I’ve been visiting other blogs lately and have been amazed at all the writing talent in the world. May I follow your blog? Feel free to follow mine as well and keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete