Saturday, March 24, 2012

e Beva!

Alright, I told y'all I had a little follow up for your sipping pleasure. Not surprisingly considering my roots, this one is Italian too. It's a happy comfort zone I pierce only when necessary. I don't think today's going to be that day! So here's a refreshing drink with just a bit of buzz to it. This has been a summer favorite for me and some of my girls - maybe it will be for you too!

Start with lemons, fresh mint and a bottle of Limoncello, well chilled. You can find it in the section with cordials and liqueurs. This southern-Italian classic originates near my family's former home, Naples, with roots extending all the way down the Amalfi Coast and out to islands like Ischia and Capri. It's a delightful consumed traditionally, on its own, as an after-dinner drink in tiny chilled glasses (or mixed up with some other things!). I think I may even try to make it sometime...but for now I'll keep it simple with the store-bought variety.


Put a few slices of lemon in the bottom of a glass and add a some mint leaves. Muddle them with a tiny bit of Limoncello (if you don't have a muddler, you can use the back of a spoon to smash them up and release their flavors and juices). Set aside. 


In a shaker, combine about one to one Limoncello and sparkling water or club soda and shake with ice, then pour over lemons and mint (if you don't have a shaker, just measure into the glass and stir). You can also add a few chips of ice, too, if you want.


Salute!

2 comments:

  1. We just made Limoncello and are looking forward to try your delicious recipe!!
    Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try some of my own...maybe I'll pop over and try your recipe! Yum!

    ReplyDelete