Wednesday, March 21, 2012

late to the party

Do you play social games? I'll admit, when I realized that playing a social game on Facebook was going to be a part of a story I was writing for BG magazine (just finished! headed your way!), I was not excited. All I could think about was the time I'd spent unsubscribing to feeds of Farmville-addicted friends (grumble). 


But then I grudgingly logged on to WeTopia, the brainchild of Lincoln Brown (Kentuckian, yay!) and his partners at SoJo (Social Joy) studios. While it might look like a typical social game, what sets this particular diversion apart is not the addictive part (it became, despite my best efforts, a serious time sucker), but the charitable aspect. SoJo donates 50% of profits to hand-picked charities and players can help determine where some of those funds go, so while you are spending time playing a social game (meh?) you're "playing for good" (hard to meh about, really).

my name is Anne, I have a WeTopia, and I'm proud of it!
I'm hardly the first one to discover this. When Lincoln and I sat down the other day to chat, I learned that Ellen and the Beib are fans and supporters, too. Good friends to have, I'd say, and WeTopia has grown like crazy in the short time it's been around thanks in part to the grass roots fandom that's sprung up around its do-good determination. Way to go, SoJo, you make Kentucky look good!
Check out more on WeTopia, SoJo and Lincoln in BG Spring 2012! It will be out soon. Way to go BG team!

No comments:

Post a Comment