Friday, March 23, 2012

mangia!

It's Friday in the spring you all (though it feels like summer here in the Bluegrass - heatwave!), and at our place, that means dinners spent on the porch, or at least long evenings of thrown-together, slow paced dining that's often more like small plates and appetizers with a few cool beverages. And friends. Lots of friends. 

Something about the spring and summer, with the lingering light and windows flung open (as ours have been all week!) makes hosting a last-minute soiree less intimidating. 

On the other hand, I'm better at organizing structured things. I don't consider this my best attribute, though. I wish I was more laid back and spontaneous...that's why I married someone like Jacob! He's always up for anything at a moments notice and keeps me on my toes. I tend to be up for anything, I just prefer notice ranging from a few hours to a few weeks. I'm working on that. 

Keeping things on hand for a quick and easy (and tasty) bite and sip makes it easier to throw open the doors to whoever might stop by which, really, is what porches in the summer are all about right?

One little bite I worked up the other day for my girlfriends, seemed to go over pretty well, so I'll share it here. It's super easy and pretty yummy - a simple, bite-sized version of my favorite Italian salad, the Caprese. 

Grab about 7 thin slices of Prosciutto from your deli, butcher or the specialty section of the grocery (most have it prepackaged), one container of grape or cherry tomatoes, one container of fresh mozzarella (I chose the tiny ones, but you can get a regular-sized on and slice it if you prefer), some basil, extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and freshly-cracked pepper - and some skewers or toothpicks. 

Start with the mozzarella and layer one piece of the cheese followed by a portion of prosciutto folded over a portion of basil (to keep the leaf intact) and finish with a tomato. Layer them on a plate and set aside. Mix about one to one olive oil and balsamic vinegar, whisk and drizzle over the skewers, finish with a bit of salt and pepper. Share with friends. 

I have a little drink recipe up my sleeve too, that pairs well with summer nights, friends and Caprese skewers...stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Anne this post made me just a littttlllleeee hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh gosh this looks delicious! im going to have to try it sometime

    http://xoxo-carolinalove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete